Thursday, June 18, 2009

Growin' a Garden

This year we decided to take the plunge and plant a garden. We went out and rented a rotor-tiller from The Home Depot. That thing was crazy! I was postive that a trip to the emergency room was just right around the corner. But, we got lucky and stayed out of the emergency room and ended up with a nicely tilled section of........clay. Which we then mixed with peat moss and top soil so that we could end up with a little less sticky clay. Thanks Home Depot guy!

Into the big garden went tomatoes, green peppers, jalapenos, broccoli, zucchini, green beans, watermelon and pumpkins. I still have to add more pumpkins and get the watermelon in but you get the general idea.

All those veggies took up our whole garden space the only problem was that we still had, cucumber seedlings (those are little plants that have already grown out of the seeds but have not yet been planted into the ground for those of you that aren't "in the know"). Also, radishes and carrots. What to do, what to do?

Duh! Obvious answer, go buy some super huge pots and plant these things in there! Can't believe I missed that the first time around. Here's what we did, though much fuller......







And wonder of wonders things started to grow, honestly everything that we put in these planters is growing about out of control, I will have to get a picture. And the main garden, not so much. We harvested our first crop last night out of the planter. Radishes=super quick growing!



Kind of makes me wish that I liked radishes.

'til next time
me

3 comments:

  1. mmm, I like radishes, you could send some my way..lol..We cant have a garden because our silly puppy digs everything up. We will wait and try again when she is older..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! Good for you. Our square foot garden has been doing spectacular, though nothing as fast as your radishes! It's pretty much the same idea as your planters, and no weeds! I don't like radishes either but my daughter loves them, the weirdo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. somehow i never started following your new blog??!! Radishes are so darn rewarding! i grew so many and then composted most of them! i am throwing the remainder into my green juice today though. I like the pepperyness. your kids are so darn cute!

    ReplyDelete